December16th

The following is a pic-tutorial of how to create your own labels in Microsoft Word.

A few words to the wise:
  • print on plain paper first
  • I used solid sheets of “label paper” like this. Be sure you get ink jet paper for an ink jet printer or laser paper for a laser printer.
  • which allows for fun square or star shaped labels too… the sky’s the limit
  • make your margins smaller so you can squeeze more on a page

Click on each picture for the bigger picture…

Merry! Merry!

• Comment by Hillary Dunham — December 16, 2008 @ 4:30 pm

You are too much with your detailed instructions!! That is awesome!! Now I want to know how you do that and saved each picture file with your comments. That’s really impressive… and I’m a quasi-computer person! I can’t wait to try the labels! Thanks for giving me the courage to give it a shot!

• Comment by becky — December 16, 2008 @ 4:39 pm

holy cow. that was the best tut i have ever seen. i wonder how many of us are gonna make stickler stickers?? hey…that sounds like a business…sticklers stickers.

i’m a dork.

• Comment by Rachel — December 16, 2008 @ 5:30 pm

Thank You, Thank You, Thank you! I just worked through the tutorial and made my own stickers. I LOVE them! You are so talented and I really enjoy reading about each of your creative ventures. Thanks again!

• Comment by andi — December 16, 2008 @ 5:54 pm

I am excited to try this. I am crackin’ up at the ESPN play lines throughout. How’d ya do that? You rock!

• Comment by Ashley, Ryan and Reed — December 16, 2008 @ 6:12 pm

Thank you so much!! This is amazing!! Your tutorial was amazing!!! I couldn’t have done it without you!!

• Comment by Natalie McGough — December 16, 2008 @ 6:17 pm

I was just about to email you and ask for directions on the labels…your on top of things: )!! thanks for sharing all of your good ideas, they give me fun projects to work on in COLD Vermont: )!!!

• Comment by Ashley, Ryan and Reed — December 16, 2008 @ 6:34 pm

• Comment by Carly — December 16, 2008 @ 6:57 pm

Thanks to you, I’ve had a ball making and designing my very own Christmas lables! You are wonderful! Thanks for sharing your tips with us:)

• Comment by Joyce — December 16, 2008 @ 7:01 pm

WOW! Thank you!!! I will have to give this a try. Enjoy…

• Comment by The Martin Family — December 16, 2008 @ 7:22 pm

D — you rock my world!!! How do you find the time to not only make this stuff in the first place but then teach all of us? You are my hero! Those presents were so cute – we made the pretzels last week for Ford’s teachers, but the presentation wasn’t nearly as cute! Merry Christmas!

• Comment by margaret — December 16, 2008 @ 7:53 pm

thanks for sharing, darby!! you are so smart!

• Comment by The Harris Family — December 16, 2008 @ 8:30 pm

You’re so creative and do so much with three kids I can’t stand it! :-) Thanks girl you rock! ( I noticed one blogger asked how you did the ‘ESPN play lines’, now you’re going to have to blog on how you blogged ! haha)

• Comment by simply seleta — December 16, 2008 @ 8:36 pm

Sometimes I wonder if you’re a human or an angel. Still pondering.

• Comment by Wright Family — December 16, 2008 @ 8:49 pm

TOO CUTE!!! Thank you for sharing how you did the adorable labels. Your instructions were perfect. God has really gifted you with creativity in a major way!

• Comment by erika — December 16, 2008 @ 8:51 pm

you kill me.
    my favorite was the “oops”!
    i have never seen someone do graphics in microsoft word… i did not know such cuteness could be made outside of photoshop and illustrator!? you have proven me wrong.
    label wizard, you rock.
    night,
    mommasis

• Comment by Hillary Dunham — December 16, 2008 @ 9:31 pm

OK. I just did my labels and am pretty proud of them! Seriously- I could not have done them without the tutorial! Play by play is always where I excel! AND, I did it on the new version of Word (which did require a smidgen of my own brainpower, but that’s about it).
    THANKS SO MUCH!! I LOVE THEM! I’ve got to go get label sticky paper tomorrow!

• Comment by Whitney and Dan — December 16, 2008 @ 10:28 pm

thanks so much for the detailed instructions! i have already used them! so cute!

• Comment by the sweet life with olives — December 17, 2008 @ 12:44 am

Ok, now your crafty ways have exceeded my sad level of knowledge and understanding. I love that you made a step by step guide to personalized sticker making. While I don’t understand how to sew, cook or create half as well as you, I sure do love watching you work your magic!:-)

• Comment by Kellie Patton — December 17, 2008 @ 6:32 am

How in the world did you know ho to do all that – do you have a computer science degree too?

• Comment by Abby Maddox — December 17, 2008 @ 6:35 am

That HAD to have taken a long time A-to figure out and B-to create in tutorial form. I have been lusting over your stickers and now, I feel like I’ve gotten a Christmas present :) THANK YOU

• Comment by Alyson — December 17, 2008 @ 6:52 am

I have enjoyed reading your blog for several weeks and just wanted to say thanks for sharing this post!!! I made the labels last night and didn’t have sticker paper so I printed on card stock, cut out, punched a hole and tied with ribbon…super cute! Thanks again for sharing, you are awesome!!!

• Comment by Martha — December 17, 2008 @ 7:10 am

Oh my gosh. I had no idea I even had the capabilities on my computer to do this!!

Awesome! Thanks!

• Comment by Katie — December 17, 2008 @ 7:35 am

i actually wrote out three sentences saying exactly (word for word) what your sis wrote…so scratch it now…

attempt #2
    darby, you are too resourceful for a single human being…if only we could swim in the fountain of your creativity, we would be eternally grateful. there. erika didn’t write that :)

now I am off to make some labels…

• Comment by Dona — December 17, 2008 @ 8:09 am

I’m with Abby! That is the best Christmas gift I will get this year! I can’t wait to try it!!!!!! Thank you!

• Comment by MyLittleHappyPlace — December 17, 2008 @ 9:12 am

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! Can’t wait to give this a try – Thanks a mucho!!

• Comment by aedozier — December 17, 2008 @ 9:19 am

You are a great teacher! I am taking the gift of your idea to stick on my homemade orange bread for our teachers. How do you have time?

• Comment by megan — December 17, 2008 @ 9:30 am

The labels are so cute! That is quite a post. I would have never guessed microsoft word could do all of that. Such a talent, you are!

• Comment by Lisa — December 17, 2008 @ 9:32 am

You are amazing. I am still thinking “How did you learn ALL this stuff??”
    Merry Christmas!

• Comment by Tess — December 17, 2008 @ 9:54 am

I have been a blog stalker for a long time, and just can’t hide myself anymore! You are fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing all that you create, I have almost tried them all. I really appreciate the message from your blog and feel your pains as well. Again, it is nice to “meet” you, and you are amazing!
    Tess

• Comment by Jennifer — December 17, 2008 @ 10:34 am

You make me feel so inadequate! You are so crafty! Love your projects and loved that dish towel you gave away! Thanks for all the inspiration and words of encouragement you provide to all your readers when they ask you questions about how you did something…that might be me one day!

• Comment by Jill Pope — December 17, 2008 @ 12:16 pm

Darby! It’s Jill Pope, L.A.’s friend! I cannot believe how awesome you are…I really want to be you when I grow up! I am definately using this sticker idea! Your children are too cute! I love “stalking” your blog. P.S. Isn’t it exciting that L.A.’s having another girl?!

• Comment by Lindsey — December 17, 2008 @ 2:37 pm

thank you SO much for this. i know we all appreciate it. you definitely spread christmas cheer!

• Comment by Our Family — December 17, 2008 @ 3:19 pm

Those are great! I am impressed that you have time to upload directions with three little ones. I love your blog and enjoy all your many ideas.

• Comment by Anonymous — December 17, 2008 @ 8:08 pm

Long time reader, sounds nicer than stalker. You amaze me with all of your talents.

• Comment by Meaghan — December 17, 2008 @ 8:36 pm

thank you!!! this is fabulous! i’m retarded, i never could have gotten this!

• Comment by pink green & southern — December 18, 2008 @ 5:50 am

Thank you SO MUCH for the detailed instructions. I’ve been wanting to know how to do this FOREVER and would have never figured it out without you!!!

• Comment by Anonymous — December 18, 2008 @ 6:59 am

I just adore your blog! You have the best and most creative ideas about everything! I’ve been a long time reader or lurker… And I share your love for owls. XO at the University of Tennessee!

Your blog is my daily pick-me-up and accountability partner. Thanks for all that you do!!!!!Merry Christmas to you and your sweet family! God Bless!

• Comment by Dianne — December 18, 2008 @ 8:02 am

Is there anything you can’t do?
    I am constantly amazed at you!

• Comment by Dena — December 21, 2008 @ 1:58 pm

you could put me out of business with your useful tutorials and now stationery too?? you are killing me!

• Comment by The Honea Bees — January 7, 2009 @ 2:31 pm

I am using this tut for labels to go on birthday treat bags for my son’s 1st b-day. I will send you a pic when they are all done!
    THANKS!!

• Comment by Anonymous — August 10, 2009 @ 10:21 am

Oh my gosh, These are super cute! I am a label freak and have ordered custom one's several times for holiday goodies, favors, etc… I already tried them out and am surprised how easy it was. Thanks for the great idea!

• Comment by Melanie Malone — October 15, 2009 @ 8:31 am

Thanks so much, you are a doll! I am always trying to put polka dots on everything, without buying new software. Can’t wait to try this.

• Comment by Cazra — November 12, 2009 @ 2:12 pm

I cannot say thank you enough for this tutorial! I have wanted to know how to make these for soooooo long. I kept thinking I was going to have to buy some kind of text editing software like Print Shop. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

• Comment by Talysa — November 12, 2009 @ 3:44 pm

Finally…a craft I can do!!! Which translates to “a craft that does not require sewing.” :-)

One question….when I copy, should it copy everything in my circle, or just the circle?

• Comment by LT — November 13, 2009 @ 5:50 pm

After several tries, I finally got it right but the sad thing is, I really don’t know how I did it.

• Comment by Carol Busse — November 17, 2009 @ 4:59 pm

I have a mac. Is there a way to do these tags on it? I would love to be able to do this. Thanks for the idea and tutorial.

Carol

• Comment by Kim — November 27, 2009 @ 1:03 pm

I made the labels, but am now having trouble finding blank label paper. Can you give me any advice on where to find it? Thanks so much!
    Kim

• Comment by Gretchen — December 6, 2009 @ 9:07 pm

THANK YOU!!! for this AWESOME tutorial! I have been wanting to make some tags and now I have beautiful ones, thanks to you.

I have one question. I had time copying and pasting the whole project. It kept copying just the dotted circle. Any thoughts?

Thank you again!!!

• Comment by Gretchen — December 6, 2009 @ 9:08 pm

Oops, that was supposed to read “I had a hard time copying and pasting the entire project.”

• Comment by Anne W — December 15, 2009 @ 11:28 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer this tutorial, Darby! This was awesome! I just can’t imagine how you figured all of this out!!

• Pingback by Posh Pink Poodle Party | Creative Party Place — January 8, 2010 @ 2:40 am

[...] made custom cupcake picks  using Darby’s label tutorial and a scallop punch glued onto Wilton lollipop sticks that was tied with a thin black satin [...]

• Comment by Keisha - Cupcake Wishes & Birthday Dreams — January 8, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

Wow! You’re a Word Art user like me and I didn’t even know about the dots around the letters – you rock! Thanks for sharing!

• Pingback by 12 Days of Handmade Christmas Tutorials Day 12 {Christmas Tags} » lifeingrace — February 26, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

[...] For all you who are considering bifocals {like me} here’s the link to the post on Darby’s blog. You can click on her pictures to enlarge them! You’re [...]

• Comment by Design Dave — August 6, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

This is very interesting way to this. So much easier than using some overblown software designed for the task! Thanks again!

• Comment by kristine — August 29, 2010 @ 9:12 am

WOW! Thank you!!! You made it SO EASY! I LOVE IT!!! Just made b-day labels for my daughters 2nd b-day.

• Comment by Nancy — November 13, 2010 @ 12:26 pm

I love the tutorial. I just found it….but I still can’t print those round labels and get the blasted things centered. I am pulling my hair out. just wanted to say your tut is wonderful tho. thanks

• Comment by Brandi — November 29, 2010 @ 7:48 pm

Thank you thank you thank you!! I make my own labels and gift tags but I taught myself and have been doing many things the hard way by trial and error. Can’t wait to try it and browse your sight- looks really cute! PS- found you on Today’s Creative Blog

• Comment by Kisha — July 22, 2011 @ 8:29 pm

This is the BEST tutorial I have ever seen! Is there a way to make the wording(text box) go around the circle? I might be pushing my luck, but I thought I’d ask :-)
    Thank you!