February18th

Stamp It Out

Posted in: Articles

4shirts

I love blogs. I think they are great resources, inspiring, and usually get my creative juices flowing. I read too many of them though. I know that to be a fact. Anyway, recently I’ve come across some featuring “freezer paper”. Like this one and this one. So I grabbed a roll of freezer paper from Winn Dixie and thought yesterday would be the day to try it out. But let me tell you… I am an “instant gratification” kind of crafter… and rather impatient {maybe you can tell that from my recipes too?}. So, after trying to cut some designs out of freezer paper with an exacto knife I said, “ummm maybe in 10 years when there aren’t little children watching, panting, asking to try etc”. But I had the paper and the paint and I can’t waste it. I remembered those cute little stamps. So I stamped the onesies that I intended to paint stencils on. I think they turned out pretty cute. The stamps are all from the $1 rack at Michael’s and it says Scrapbooking Supplies {or something of that nature} at the top. If you go to the stamp aisle… watch out, they’re EXPENSIVE, I had no idea. So, stick to the $1 rack… unless you have money to spend then knock yourself out! :) The paint is called “Soft” by Tulip. It’s fabric paint and once it dried I set it with a medium iron.

2shirts

I will say stick to the ones with more lines than those with filled space… make sense? I ironed the freezer paper to the inside of the onesie so the paint wouldn’t bleed through… although with stamps I don’t think that would happen so you could probably just slip a piece of wax paper in there. I also painted the fabric paint onto my stamp and made sure I didn’t have too much paint on there.

• Comment by becky — February 18, 2009 @ 3:15 pm

sick kids and i get 2 posts behind! it has taken me forevah to catch up with everyone today. and happy birthday justin. you DO look 18 and i’m finding that it’s not fair. maybe it’s all the jamon you are eating!! i had NO idea there was such a thing and i put some kind of bullion in ALLLLL of my frozen peas. but to make it with ham??? thank ya!! and of course, super cute crafting!!

• Comment by Matt, Carrie and Lucy Allen — February 18, 2009 @ 3:57 pm

darby-i have commented a few times here and there, but i love your blog and followed you over. love all your cute ideas and i too want instant gratification when i craft and sew…maybe that’s why i haven’t sewn anything in forever! love these onesies with the stamps-how cute and easy! thanks for all your ideas!
    carrie

• Comment by Carly — February 18, 2009 @ 4:08 pm

You never cease to amaze me! You are without a doubt, the queen of craft! Thanks so much for sharing your tips with us. Happy birthday to Justin!

• Comment by the brown's — February 18, 2009 @ 7:10 pm

fun idea! who knew freezer paper could do such fabulous things?!?!?

• Comment by Erin — February 18, 2009 @ 7:19 pm

I absolutely love the onsies! Especially the one with the li’ bunnies. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Comment by Mandi — February 18, 2009 @ 9:30 pm

Thanks for making my days even better! I love your blog! ~Mandi

• Comment by The Rauths — February 18, 2009 @ 9:57 pm

i made some of these over the weekend for a friend! they are fun and cute!

• Comment by pve design — February 19, 2009 @ 5:45 am

I miss onsies days.

• Comment by Jenny — February 19, 2009 @ 8:36 am

Darby, this is so cute! Will says you are the only other person he knows who gets so excited about baking and crafting. I think we should pick a spot and meet up with our six munchkins at some point! We can watch William and Paige go bananas together!

• Comment by Linkis Family Love — February 19, 2009 @ 10:02 am

did you use a special ink? i have regular stamp pad inks, but thinking this may require fabric paint or something? fill me in…the girls are wanting t-shirts, and we LOVE Michaels…too much, I am afraid…already down $50 there this week, alone. oooohhh yikes!
    Happy Thursday!
    Kelli <><<

• Comment by Tara — February 19, 2009 @ 10:25 am

Hi Darby – I am a HUGE fan of your blog! I too am curious about the ink. Are there any special wash instructions for these onesies? I think they would make great gifts for new moms!

And your breakfast looked divine!

• Comment by lindsay — February 19, 2009 @ 11:26 am

wierd- JUST bought some paint yesterday to make some onesies for gifts! Thanks for the tips

• Comment by Mod Girl — February 19, 2009 @ 1:16 pm

Love them!

I looked at stamps at Hobby Lobby today… the ones on clearance were still $2.50 each which is more than I’m willing to pay. Michael’s, here I come.

• Comment by C and M — February 19, 2009 @ 1:39 pm

What a GREAT idea. I have a ton of stamps (love stampin’ up!) so I’m adding this to my crafting list. Thanks!

• Comment by christy — February 19, 2009 @ 1:41 pm

I love these! I think you just gave me a great idea for the neighbor’s 2yo birthday girl! I couldn’t figure out what to get her, love these!

• Comment by No.35style — February 19, 2009 @ 3:18 pm

I don’t think my comment posted?? I think those stamped onesies are so cute..love the lamb. They would make great unique gifts!

• Comment by alice — March 5, 2009 @ 6:30 pm

These are adorable!

Since my only baby for now is a furry fluffy four legged one, I’m definitely going to try this out for my friends upcoming baby shower!

Thanks for sharing!
    PS- I just clicked over from Simply Seleta after seeing your fab labels!