January13th

choc cup7

Hi friends! I’m here with something fun to do with your kids, or for your kids, or for your husband, mom, sister, brother, neighbor, teacher, boyfriend, girlfriend… you get the idea. You can do this for anyone and it’s fun, cute, and easy!

Start with small candy canes– which hopefully can still be found in the clearance Christmas aisle… but if not, you could always buy 280 of them HERE.

Preheat your oven to 240-245.

Place unwrapped candy canes in heart shapes on parchment lined cookie sheets.

hearts1

hearts2

Bake for 2 to 5 minutes watching closely. I tried this with large canes and the smaller ones… each type of candy will vary as to how long it needs to soften. Some will take longer others will melt into a puddle if you walk away.

hearts3

When they come out touch them and see if they are pliable. If they are, pinch the tops and bottoms together like this, if they aren’t return them to the oven for a couple minutes until they’re ready.

hearts4

I tried the microwave too {at 20 second intervals until ready}. It worked for this one…
hearts5
But certainly didn’t work for this one…
heartsOOPS

Stick to the oven… it’s a safer, steady, lower heat!

I think they’re really fun and fun to play with…

hearts6

This is what I suggest you do with them… or if you have some time… serve with homemade peppermint ice cream! Mmmm!
morgan

To make the chocolate cupcake liner…  {pictures only– sorry I have dinner to fix and the pictures speak for themselves!}

chocolate

bakingcups

choc cup1

choc cup2

choc cup3

choc cup4

freezer

choc cup5

freezer

choc cup6

choc cup7

*I left the paper wrapper inside the foil wrapper and wish I had taken the melted chocolate all the way to the very edge of the wrapper for a taller chocolate shell!

Inspired by and adapted from: Skip to My Lou!

• Comment by alyssa — January 13, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

This is really bad for a person, like myself, who struggles with a chocolate addiction….yummy! Is that homemade ice cream that you served? this would be a very cute idea to have for a preschool valentine’s party…the wheels are already beginning to turn in my head! thanks, again, for such a great idea!

• Comment by Jaime — January 13, 2010 @ 5:50 pm

Love, love, love this idea! Fabulous use of left-over candy canes and just so darned pretty! Thanks so much, sweet Darby!

• Comment by grace — January 13, 2010 @ 5:52 pm

this is this a fantastic idea!!! i’m not that good in the kitchen, but still want to give this a try. thanks for sharing:)

• Comment by Donna — January 13, 2010 @ 5:58 pm

Too cute!!! Love those chocolate liners…by the way, my family is now addicted to “frosted banana bars”…my kids will not eat the bananas just so I am forced to make a batch! Thanks for all the yummy recipes!

• Comment by Jenn — January 13, 2010 @ 6:09 pm

Those are adorable! Definitely would be cute for a Valentine’s Day dessert. I love that first photo too, very pretty.

• Comment by elizabeth — January 13, 2010 @ 7:18 pm

yum! Two of my favorites…..chocolate and peppermint!

• Comment by Emerging Domesticity — January 13, 2010 @ 7:20 pm

Such a cute idea! And, with Valentines day around the corner … I can think of a million different uses! Thanks for posting. Love your blog!

• Comment by Shannon — January 13, 2010 @ 7:35 pm

WOW! You are my new best friend and I don’t even know you! LOL! Thanks for the continued inspiration!

• Comment by Mott — January 13, 2010 @ 7:52 pm

All I can say is “Yummy”!

• Comment by rebecca — January 13, 2010 @ 8:00 pm

darn…gotta bring out the elastic pants again!

will be trying, filling and eating tomorrow!

• Comment by Ashley — January 13, 2010 @ 8:12 pm

Super cute!!!! The pics that you took are so beautiful!
    Also…just wanted to say good job you for posting where you got the idea from. I know there’s alot of copying that goes around blog land and it’s easy to claim an idea as your own instead of giving credit where credit is due. It’s was refreshing to see that you had posted where you adapted the idea from. Love how you made it your own! :)

• Comment by Melise — January 13, 2010 @ 8:29 pm

i’m in love with this!!!

• Comment by Jacci — January 13, 2010 @ 8:54 pm

Those are adorable, Darby! :) I could see us making this into a 3 day thing – 1 day to make the cups, one day to make the hearts, and a third day to put it all together and **enjoy**. Very festive.

Thanks for sharing it with us :)

~Jacci

• Comment by Kaylene — January 13, 2010 @ 8:57 pm

adorable. My head is filling with ideas for other uses for the chocolate cups. So fun.

in another note, I made your rice pack the other day and am loving it. I added cinnamon and nutmeg to mine and it smells great every time I heat it up. Thanks for the idea!

• Comment by Alli — January 13, 2010 @ 9:14 pm

This is a great idea! I have two boxes of candy canes left over from Christmas, I was just about to toss the other day! Can’t wait to try it.

• Comment by Melissa (melissab74) — January 13, 2010 @ 9:15 pm

Super cute!

• Comment by Amanda — January 13, 2010 @ 9:16 pm

Very cool idea! Will definitely try the candy cane hearts!

• Comment by Brittan — January 13, 2010 @ 9:28 pm

“Love” it!

• Comment by Melissa Richie — January 13, 2010 @ 9:31 pm

yum! so fun!

• Comment by Devon — January 13, 2010 @ 10:07 pm

This is not an appropriate post for someone trying to take off the baby weight!
    Love!!

• Comment by Holly @ Times Two — January 13, 2010 @ 10:22 pm

These are darling! I’ve got a Valentine’s idea on my blog too. Check it out.
    Thanks for sharing yours.

• Comment by melissa — January 13, 2010 @ 10:23 pm

This is so cute! I hope you’ll have a few minutes to post the ice cream recipe, too!

• Comment by Talysa — January 13, 2010 @ 10:48 pm

so darn cute!

• Comment by Jen — January 13, 2010 @ 11:47 pm

Oh! I suddenly can’t wait for the weekend; as if the weekend wasn’t full of enough goodness on its own, it’s going to have ice cream in chocolate “cupcake” bowls and cute candy cane hearts on top! Be still my heart! My kids are going to LOVE doing this with me!

• Comment by Jessica — January 14, 2010 @ 12:37 am

I am definitely making these. What a cute idea!

• Comment by Jean Anfindsen — January 14, 2010 @ 8:27 am

I want to be your next door neighbor!!! ~ to love your kids and watch you do amazing things! Thanks, as always, for sharing!

• Comment by Nancy — January 14, 2010 @ 9:01 am

I absolutely love those. Everything about them. First of all, chocolate. Hello, my bootie loves chocolate. And, second red and white and peppermint. Divine.

• Comment by Mandy Norris — January 14, 2010 @ 9:22 am

So cute! Now on to find some candy canes! Have a great day! Love, Mandy

• Comment by Katie — January 14, 2010 @ 9:32 am

CUTE! I love the chocolate shell!

• Comment by mag — January 14, 2010 @ 9:37 am

Thank you Darby for giving me an idea for the 2 boxes of candy canes that my Mom always brings me after Christmas! She just can’t pass them up(bless her heart) at 25 cents each, but I never know what to do with them! Now I do:)

• Comment by Bailey — January 14, 2010 @ 9:52 am

I love this! What a cute/fun/simple idea for a festive treat…and we all know Peppermint is my…well…bliss!!
    (Am I just a hopeless geek or what!?)

• Comment by tia — January 14, 2010 @ 10:51 am

what a clever idea! i have an entire box of mini candy canes left over from christmas and now i know what to do with them. thank you for posting this :)

• Comment by kasey — January 14, 2010 @ 11:32 am

What a cute idea.

• Comment by Stephanie — January 14, 2010 @ 11:39 am

I LOVELOVELOVE the candy can hearts!

I wish I had known this little trick at Christmas time for my candy cane themed dining room – I can’t wait for next year!

{Hoping I don’t forget! hehe}

• Comment by christi — January 14, 2010 @ 11:57 am

those are adorable darby!! thanks for sharing!

• Comment by Christie — January 14, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

What a cute idea! My oldest daughter, Tyler, has a late February birthday — that would be really cute for her party! And chocolate cupcake liners? Delish! I am sure they would be no points at all on Weight Watchers, either, right?!?! ;-)

• Comment by Andrea — January 14, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

great idea! will try to make these for my boys!

• Comment by Jessica — January 14, 2010 @ 4:10 pm

Most adorable idea! …and I have had the biggest sweet tooth since Christmas, these are a sweet way to use leftover canes!

• Comment by melanie — January 14, 2010 @ 4:14 pm

These look so yummy! Definitely plan on making them. By the way loved seeing your name today in the upcoming Southern Living and your sister’s work was beautiful!!!

• Comment by Brooke — January 14, 2010 @ 5:21 pm

saw this banner and thought of you! maybe tackle it for the next birthday? i’m sure you could do it just as cute if not cuter!

• Comment by Kathie — January 14, 2010 @ 8:09 pm

I am eager to surprise my Bible Study group with chocolate cupcakes and these peppermint hearts. The ladies will love it.

• Comment by mommasissy — January 14, 2010 @ 10:39 pm

did you make that ice cream!?? yummm. love and miss you!!!

• Comment by Julie — January 14, 2010 @ 11:23 pm

I would just like to inform you that thanks to Jeane Caroll Brookshire… every Chi-O at Mississippi State is completely fallen in love with you and your sister’s blogs… It’s the first thing I do when i open my computer! haha yall are so great!

• Comment by Denise — January 15, 2010 @ 12:58 am

Hi Darby,

Just noticed your bathroom on Houzz under Rhymes with Orange! Yum this treat looks delicious.

• Comment by Colleen — January 15, 2010 @ 9:08 am

Good morning,
    I have read your blog for quite some time now, and love reading about your daily adventures…they sound so similar to my own :)
    I am writing hoping for the recipie for the Texas Sheet Cake. I tried subscribing as you suggested, but for some reason it is not accepting the information (I am from Canada and the error message is with regards to a not known address)
    Let me know if you can help me out. The pictures looked SO good.
    Have a great day.

• Comment by Melanie Gore — January 15, 2010 @ 9:38 am

I love to bake and this looks like a fun thing to do. Very cute.

• Comment by seleta — January 15, 2010 @ 9:53 am

I LUV all of your projects!!!

• Comment by Jessica — January 15, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

How awesome is this?! I love it!! :)

• Comment by Kelly@TearingUpHouses — January 15, 2010 @ 4:57 pm

fantastic idea! yum!

kelly

• Comment by Jenn — January 15, 2010 @ 5:50 pm

Oh my…I’ve got to keep this in mind! February is a huge month in our house. We have 5 family birthdays in 5 days, so this will be a fantastic way to add a bit of variety to the mountains of cakes and goodies that come into the house in a few weeks! Thank you for sharing!

• Comment by Sarah — January 15, 2010 @ 9:55 pm

I HEART this post!!!

• Comment by Becky — January 16, 2010 @ 3:23 pm

The best part of this post is the picture showing your less-than-perfect cookie sheets! I thought I was the only one that didn’t have shiny, brand-new looking ones.

Now I wish I hadn’t eaten all our leftover candy canes. Oh well. I’ll try to refrain next year…or maybe just buy mass quantities instead. :)

• Comment by Lisa — January 19, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

I must have these! I must have these…now! Adorable, Darby.

Lisa

• Comment by Laura — June 9, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

I love these. Your blog is inspiring. I’m a blogging newbie who is addicted to your site.

Going to try this soon. :)

• Comment by www.opendiary.com — September 16, 2013 @ 9:09 am

whoah this weblog is fantastic i love studying your articles.
    Stay up the good work! You understand, lots of individuals are hunting round for this info, you could help them
    greatly.

Also visit my web page telescopic attic ladder (http://www.opendiary.com)

• Comment by exposuregallery.co.za — April 24, 2014 @ 9:28 am

The cost of a video game can differ broadly, particularly if a game isn’t brand new.
    It has altered the minds of parents, health professionals,
    doctors and physical therapists throughout the world?

Also visit my blog post elo lol (exposuregallery.co.za)