February12th

M5

Dear Friends…
This is a post about 2 fabulous little, fluffy, white things that have pleasantly surprised me this week. But first, I will share that it’s been a rough end of the week.

rover

The Rover has croup. My kids don’t get ear infections but they get croup and they get it at least a couple times a year. And in case you didn’t know, croup can nearly scare the poop out of you. It comes like a thief in the night and almost strangles the air out of a precious sleeping child. It comes with no warning whatsoever. Which means… I’ve been sleeping with Rover… or actually, he’s been sleeping with us. And I listen to his raspy breaths and pray for his little body throughout the night. Last night we had to take him outside for some chilly cold air which really is the best elixir to a sore swollen airway. During the day, if you didn’t hear him cough, you’d think he was fine, as he carries on business as usual. Kids never cease to amaze me with their resiliency.

Yesterday, to help alleviate stress and lack of sleep I thought I’d mix up some lovely, heavenly, soft, melt-in-your-mouth, pillow-y, sweet, snow-like, dusted-in-sugar homemade marshmallows

M6

And if it didn’t cured me of my motherly exhaustion, it may have added to it, but at this point I’m so delirious it’s hard to say!

marshie5

I must admit, I’ve always been intimidated by the idea, but honestly, it was so easy and the rewards far outweigh the work & stickiness!

marshie2

marshie7

marshie8

Being the selfless mother that I am, I decided I better taste-test the marshies to make sure no one would get sick on them. The only person who would could get sick on them is me, because I could eat all of them.

marshie9

This morning I turned them out on a confection sugar/cornstarch dusted cutting board and started with hearts.

M1

… but realized quickly that too much of the good stuff would be wasted. And it’s too good to be wasted in scraps.

M2

So I resorted to large, melt in your mouth, cubes.

M4

In addition to large white marshmallows, we were also pleasantly surprised this morning by fluffy, white, large snowflakes falling on our very southern soil!!

snow1

The little rovers were thrilled…

snow3

snow4

snow5

And I feel certain, this little lizard that I saw in my house yesterday is glad to still be inside {nestled in my ferns} and not out in the wintry mix!!

lizardlizard

Stay warm, Rovers! The rain is falling now and it’s supposed to turn back to snow this afternoon… we’re watching at the windows with bated breath!!

MARSHMALLOW RECIPE SOURCE:: Homemade Marshmallows by Alton Brown { my favorite food network celebrity! }

PS- I have a white, IKEA fillsta pendant lighton Ebay if anyone is looking for one! It’s the largest one they made— 30″ in diameter. Here’s the LINK to the auction!

• Comment by Mandy — February 12, 2010 @ 2:09 pm

Fun! We made marshmallows at Christmas time last year and put them in little canning jars with homemade cocoa mix for the cousins. I, too, was initially intimidated by the prospect but it was so easy and fun!

• Comment by Jennifer — February 12, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

I also adore Alton Brown. His recipes are always wonderful!

• Comment by erika (mommasissy) — February 12, 2010 @ 2:49 pm

I LOVE YOU! I wish I was there!!

• Comment by Ali Wilson — February 12, 2010 @ 2:54 pm

stirling had croup a few weeks ago and it scared me to death. i called our ped. at home ao 10 p.m. and he thought i was losing it! at least there’s some white stuff to check out during the late night outings!

• Comment by Christina — February 12, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

I love homemade marshmallows and made some this week too! I cut a few big heart shapes out, put a cookie stick in them, and took pics of my son eating a marshmallow pop to email to family for Valentine’s Day. Hope Rover is better soon & you’re enjoying the snow. We have more than I’ve ever seen here in Pa.

• Comment by Mandy — February 12, 2010 @ 3:10 pm

So sorry JM is sick…hope he feels better…I hate the coughing for the little ones…Love the marshmellow idea…am I up for it? We are expecting snow here in the lowcountry of SC (Mount Pleasant/Charleston) too and we are so excited!!!! We never get snow here at the coast! Enjoy and I hope you get some rest! Happy Valentine’s Day! Mandy

• Comment by Chris — February 12, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

COOL!! I’ve wanted to do this for a long time now I will. I love Alton too but Ruth can’t stand him.

• Comment by Donna — February 12, 2010 @ 5:11 pm

So sorry your little is sick….hope he is on the mend! We have snowflakes up this way too…my kids are hoping for atleast a few inches!!!

• Comment by Lisa — February 12, 2010 @ 5:31 pm

Marshmallows and snow…two of my daughter’s favorite things (except we live in the desert, so hip hip hurrah for marshmallows). Oh, and might I also add I still deeply adore and covert (asking for forgiveness as I type) your gorgeous front doors. :-)

Lisa

• Comment by Lisa — February 12, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

Ummm…well, that would be covet, not “covert,” your front doors – although if I come to steal them away, I will certainly do it “covertly.” :-)

• Comment by Rhonda — February 12, 2010 @ 5:40 pm

oh Croup! yuck! I had that yearly as a child from 3 months (yes, my mom remembers THAT vividly!) to probably 2nd or 3rd grade. Hospitalized numerous times with it, put in an oxygen tent…very vivid memories of struggling to breathe. yuck, yuck. Thankfully only one of my daughters has had it, and only once- but I remember how its more scary as a MOM than as a child. Hugs to you!!

One other tip- standing in front of a freezer with the door open can help too- the cold air coming from it has the same effect (just in case the little ones ever get a bad cough or croup in the middle of summer. Going outside then won’t help with our hot, humid alabama air!)

hugs and hang in there!!

• Comment by E @ Oh!Apostrophe — February 12, 2010 @ 6:27 pm

Enjoy the snow!! I grew up in Maine and so admit to not getting that excited over the white stuff, but it is so fun to watch others stare in wonder at it :)

• Comment by Lauren — February 12, 2010 @ 8:13 pm

So sorry for Rover…my little boy has a bad cough this week too. :-( I have to say your marshmellows made my mouth water…YUMMY!!! We had close to a foot of snow here this week and that is remarkable considering we live in Arkansas. This is our third snow storm this year. Our God can do wonderful things and display such beauty!! I posted some pictures of our snow today at my blog. Have a great weekend!!

• Comment by Courtney — February 12, 2010 @ 8:45 pm

There’s clearly something in the air! I posted a marshmellow recipe too!! Have a happy valentine’s weekend and stay warm. I’ll send some of this heat out West very soon!

• Comment by Ashley — February 12, 2010 @ 8:49 pm

Hooray for the snow! I hope it brings a little bit of heavenly wonder to your kiddos hearts. :)

• Comment by michelle — February 12, 2010 @ 9:09 pm

Oh so sorry about the croup! Both my children are croup children! It is really scary at times…Good news my 14 year old had the last episode at about ten or eleven..they do outgrow it. Once we flew to Disney World for our first visit and the moment we landed it appeared..the seal barking cough! Spent many hours out breathing on the porch! Hope he feels better soon! Your snow pics are beautiful! My husband and I were on our way to Rosemary beach today and postponed until next weekend hoping for nicer weather. We are smack in the middle..no snow..no sun…just yuck!

• Comment by Susan — February 12, 2010 @ 10:02 pm

Bless his precious heart! I am so sorry your little one has the croup! I’ll be praying! And, sleeping with him is the best thing you can do –for your sanity and his comfort!

The treats look yummy!! Thanks for sharing. Check out our snowman the boys made tonight!!

Hugs!
    Susan

• Comment by Melissa (melissab74) — February 12, 2010 @ 10:16 pm

Bless his heart! We don’t have croup or ear infection problems…we have a peanut allergy. So far we only know for sure about Matthew, but we’ve been cautious and treated Luke as if he does too until he’s old enough to be tested. Unfortunately, we’re about to find out. Someone who didn’t know Matthew’s history gave Luke a peanut butter cookie tonight at church. We’re just waiting and watching and praying! I know this really doesn’t have anything to do with your blog post, but wanted to share it in case you read comments tonight. We can use all the prayers we can get!

• Comment by pam — February 12, 2010 @ 10:22 pm

I’ve always wanted to try marshnallows. If I had that cute pink bowl, I would definitely do it.

• Comment by Alli — February 13, 2010 @ 12:38 am

GREAT pictures, as usual!! What kind of camera/ lens do you use??

• Comment by alison g. (brazil) — February 13, 2010 @ 7:41 am

Hang in there, sweet marshmallow mommy (I could just dive into that little pink bowl, ya know?!)
    How exciting for the rovers to have snow! Good for the soul – all of it!

• Comment by Katie — February 13, 2010 @ 8:05 am

We are loving the snow her in GA! And I loooove homemade marshmallows! I’ve only had Martha’s recipe. Soooo different compared to the regular marshmallows you get at the store. I hope your little Mister gets to feeling and breathing better. :o) Saying a prayer for him right now.

• Comment by Cousin — February 13, 2010 @ 8:57 am

Poor JM! And poor you for no sleep! I can’t get over you’re letting the lizard hang out in your house! I’m sure Morgan’s loving it though! Hope Martin Boy feels better soon! Love you all!

• Comment by amy norris — February 13, 2010 @ 9:54 am

awww, we have a lizard that lives in our ferns and comes inside when the ferns do too. he is brilliant and somehow ALWAYS escapes the paws of my crazy tabby cat. i love him. and i think he loves us. :) i will put the ferns in the guest bath when they are inside for a long time so i can water them and he always peeks his head up when the water hits and i can see him saying, “but wait…..don’t forget i am here!” :)

• Comment by Stephanie — February 13, 2010 @ 11:20 am

OKAY – I had NO IDEA you could make your own marshmallows. I’m so CLUELESS and also EXCITED!! Here I come, marshmallow making!!! =)

• Comment by Megan — February 13, 2010 @ 12:45 pm

One of the things we can’t get here – marshmellows! You are about to make me very popular with my neighbors. Asante sana!

• Comment by Amber — February 13, 2010 @ 12:47 pm

I absolutely love following your blog! What camera do you use?

• Comment by Chrissy — February 13, 2010 @ 3:19 pm

I love homemade marshmallows! Last time I made them I slightly altered the recipe … I put one teaspoon vanilla and one teaspoon almond extract in them. And also approximately 3 teaspoons of freshly ground cinnamon. They were sooo good! I highly recommend if you like cinnamon-flavored anything. They were only lightly flavored but it was just perfect. Great addition to hot chocolate and smores!

• Comment by Jen — February 13, 2010 @ 4:21 pm

I am going to try the marshmallows. Maybe I could turn them pink for Valentine’s Day? I am a new mommy and my little baby is all stuffed up for the first time. Like your Rovers, it came like a thief in the night this morning at 3:00AM. I slept the rest of the night out in a chair in the living room with the cute little elephant cool mist blowing on us praying for his little raspy breath all night long too!

Hope ya’ll feel better!

• Comment by dani — February 13, 2010 @ 7:44 pm

Super cute! Love the marshmallows! Will have to try them. You are so lucky it snowed there during the day. Ours was all during the night. But the morning was beautiful!

• Comment by Brittan — February 13, 2010 @ 8:58 pm

We had snow too! 1st time really in 21 years! The kids LOVED it! And we are a croup family too! Do you have a nebulizer? It really does help! Also some orapred, ask your Dr to load you up, great to stave off those late night scares and keep it under control! And get a stethoscope, you can train yourself to listen to them. If you hear the wheeze you def want to treat! Feel better soon Rover!

• Comment by Sarah — February 13, 2010 @ 10:10 pm

yummy marshmallows, perfect for a snowy day. sorry your little man is sick. mine have been sick too this week and it’s hard. hope all is well soon

• Comment by April — February 13, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

So sad for little Rover…my sweet baby girl has croup right now too! She’s just 10 months and it is sooooo sad and scary. I completely understand, this is my first experience with this nasty stuff. The worst sickness I’ve experienced with either of my kiddos. Hopefully both our homes will be over this stuff soon. Thanks for your blog, it’s fun to read and encouraging too!

• Comment by Renee Hargrove — February 14, 2010 @ 1:34 am

Oh, one of my dance team members had the croup two years ago. Her cough terrified her teammates and me; I can only imagine how her mother must have felt–fifteen or not, that was still her baby. It also earned her the nickname Walrus.

• Comment by angela — February 14, 2010 @ 7:49 am

Love all the *white fluffy pics*!!!

Wanted to say something about your GIRLS in regards to Rover having croup. My brother had croup as a child. My mom use to sit up with him at night….take him in the bathroom to turn on the shower, etc. I would lay in bed afraid because I thought he was going to die. It is one of my few memories of being a little girl. Please reassure some sisters that might be afraid!!!

P.S. Hope he is feeling better!

• Comment by Melanie — February 14, 2010 @ 8:11 am

Croup is such a yucky scary thing!! My son had his first bout at 2 and scared us to death. They say kids grow out of it, but he still gets something every winter that seems the same as croup to me even though the pediatrician says it isn’t(he’s 10). Hope you all enjoyed the snow. We sure enjoyed our little bit!! Love the lizard picture :-)

• Comment by Pru — February 14, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

I hope that the Rover is getting better and that you manage a full night’s sleep soon. Marshmallows and snow sound divine, especially the marshmallows.

I have been following your blog for a year or so now, and love how well you write, your photography is wonderful too. Thank you for inspiring me to try different recipes, household improvements and live with a better need to try.

Pru

• Comment by Katie — February 14, 2010 @ 7:30 pm

you are amazing for having the patience to make that sticky mess!! so much of my house is already covered in stickiness (thanks to my kids) that I am always reluctant to take on projects that will create additional stickiness.
    it took me a while to find you again – you stopped showing up in my google reader, so i finally went hunting a few days ago. the new site is beautiful!

• Comment by Emerging Domesticity — February 14, 2010 @ 11:01 pm

Yummy! Homemade Marshmallows & Hot Chocolate… Heaven!

• Comment by Melissa — February 15, 2010 @ 7:52 am

So sorry your little man has croup. My boys get it often too. It is terrifying watching your child struggle to breathe. We would usually end up in the hospital getting shots of steroids to help them breathe until I found this…….spongia tosta! Sounds totally weird but it WORKS amazingly. It is a homeopathic specifically for croup that I get at our health food store and is made by boiron. Now, croup last only a few days rather than weeks and weeks and we don’t end up in the hospital. Anything is worth a try with croup. Croup has the ability to get really bad really quick.
    Anyhow, hope this helps:) Enjoy your snow and your mallows!
    Blessings to you sweet sister I have never met:)
    Melissa

• Comment by Bailey — February 15, 2010 @ 11:22 am

Poor little Rover!! I so feel his pain! I too never got sick, but croup would lay me low at least once a year. My momma would alternate between cold air and a steamy shower and I would just crycrycry. No fun for mommies or Rovers! Hope the mallows helped with the mean croup!

• Comment by Scattering Lupines — February 15, 2010 @ 11:48 am

YUM homemade marshmallows! I always learn SO much about the simplest things from your blog!

• Comment by Elizabeth — February 15, 2010 @ 3:21 pm

HI!
    My comment has nothing to do with this blog entry – although I love, love, love a homemade marshmallow any day.

I am writing for tips in finding knee-socks for making sock animals. I have been scouring the internet for evenings on end with no luck. Any recommendations?

I’m also having trouble finding pre-washed embroidery thread that won’t bleed on fabric.

Thanks for all of your wonderful ideas and thoughts! You blog is the perfect treat for a long, hard day – always positive!

• Comment by Montye — February 15, 2010 @ 8:01 pm

All I have to say is Yum Yum!!! The marshmallows look divine. Wishing we could get some snow down here in Florida, but I don’t think that will be happening anytime soon. So for now I will just enjoy your pictures.

• Comment by Abby Maddox — February 16, 2010 @ 11:02 am

I’m sorry, but did you really just say you made homemade marshmellows to ALLEVIATE stress???!!! Aterwards did you let your sticky children run helter skelter through the house and touch every piece of furniture and fabric just to make your life EXTRA relaxing ?! :) You amaze me! I might be enticed to try and make those little wonders, but stress relief would certainly not be the reason. CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU!

• Comment by Mandy — February 16, 2010 @ 7:23 pm

Are y’all ok? Hope everyone is well…missed hearing from you all! Mandy

• Comment by mommyoffaith19 — February 18, 2010 @ 7:31 pm

Your photography is amazing!

I don’t know if you have ever tried juicing, but the health benefits are wonderful and I plan on giving my youngest homemade, fresh juice (with lots of veggies snuck into it). I have some details on my blog

I would love to try the homemade marshmallows but it does seem intimidating.

• Comment by Beth — February 19, 2010 @ 8:12 pm

I had to keep a steroid in my fridge for years to avoid going to the emergency room because of croup when my son was younger. Once he was five, our doctor suggested using ibuprophen when he had a croup and it really does help open the passageway. I don’t know how you stay so tiny with all that yummy food around!

• Comment by Emily L. — February 23, 2010 @ 2:49 pm

Oh my those look so good!!