August11th

fruitpizza2

We are back at the farm from our little jaunt up to Chicago and I thought I’d quickly post Mom’s wonderful recipe for fruit pizza! She has made this every summer for as long as I can remember. It is absolutely delicious ANY TIME OF DAY. We’ve been known to have it as dessert or breakfast and I can 100% guarantee that you will not be disappointed if you try it! I honestly think it deserves a much fancier name, as fruit pizza doesn’t exactly sound appetizing… if you want to be fancy you can call it Frutta Torta.

Mom found a wonderful 12″ tart pan with removable bottom at TJ Maxx that makes the presentation even more impressive. In our travels this past weekend we found a similar tart pan at Ikea {for $5.99}. A round pizza pan will work fine for this recipe if you can’t find a pretty tart pan!

fruitpizza1

1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

FILLING:

16 oz cream cheese {room temperature}
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons milk
Assorted fresh fruit: strawberries, bananas, blueberries, kiwis, peaches {you will also need lemon juice for bananas & peaches}
Chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 400°. Cream butter and shortening together, add sugar. Beat in eggs. Stir in dry ingredients. Grease two pizza pans or tart pans {12″}, spread dough on pans and bake at 400° for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely. Cream together all ingredients for filling and spread on cooled crusts. Top with fresh cut up fruit and pecans. {Bananas & peaches should be dipped in lemon juice to prevent browning.} It is best eaten the day it is assembled.

fruitpizza3

*Someone asked about Mom’s silver silverware charger… it came from TJ Maxx in South Dakota several years ago.

• Comment by Adriana L. — August 11, 2010 @ 9:29 am

I love this recipe! Super simple and great for people who might not have fruit on the top of their list of favorite things to eat.

• Comment by Cat, from iBlog — August 11, 2010 @ 9:40 am

Oh my goodness, this sounds so yummy! It looks beautiful, too. I kind-of thought fruit pizza was a good name ;-)

• Comment by Holly — August 11, 2010 @ 9:55 am

Thanks for this great recipe! :)

• Comment by BB Wooten — August 11, 2010 @ 10:02 am

Your mom’s fruit pizza is absolutely beautiful! We used to have a less fancy version of this growing up with slice-and-bake cookie dough rolled out for the crust, but this looks like something from a high end bakery. My stomach is growling!

• Comment by alissa@33shadesofgreen — August 11, 2010 @ 10:02 am

My Mom makes fruit pizza too! I think her recipe may have originally come from Pampered Chef. Yum! It is so delicious. Love the tart pan!

• Comment by Amanda — August 11, 2010 @ 10:04 am

This looks delish! I have been salivating thinking about making one. Thanks for the recipe!

• Comment by Tippy — August 11, 2010 @ 10:09 am

Printed and will make pronto! Can’t recall if I’ve ever told you that I’m now hooked on cream cheese/cucumber slices/Jane’s Crazy Salt on top of (the new Thomas THIN) bagels. Thanks for the addiction. xo

• Comment by Tonia Hobbs — August 11, 2010 @ 10:21 am

It looks so pretty! Way to pretty to eat!

• Comment by Olivia — August 11, 2010 @ 11:52 am

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!

• Comment by Kristy Dorminy — August 11, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

Delicious! I had this years ago, but maybe I will try it again soon. Yum. Thanks for sharing.

• Comment by Lori H — August 11, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

I can’t wait to try this recipe! Last night, I hosted a salad supper for 23 women. I supplied the salad greens, and everyone brought a topping. I also made a double recipe of the Artichoke Bites that you posted recently. A big hit! Thanks!

• Comment by Dianne — August 11, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

This along with hundreds of other reasons proves vacationing at your mom’ is very near heaven!!

• Comment by Amanda — August 11, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

Fruit pizza looks delish!

Amanda

• Comment by kelly — August 11, 2010 @ 3:49 pm

OMG!!! I want a piece! http://www.kellyloves.wordpress.com

• Comment by Mollie — August 11, 2010 @ 4:09 pm

Crazy! I just posted my mom’s fruit pizza recipe on my blog: http://highstyleonasmallbudget.blogspot.com/2010/08/summer-treat-fruit-pizza.html

Yours looks amazing too!

• Comment by Lauren — August 11, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

Yum~sounds and looks absolutely delish!
    I can’t wait to try it!
    Thanks for sharing! :)

• Comment by Whitney Lee — August 11, 2010 @ 5:40 pm

I have been waiting for this recipe when you mentioned it a few posts ago. My husband loves this, but it crumbles apart since I used a sugar cookie bottom. Yours looks much better. Can’t wait to try it! Thanks!

• Comment by Kasey — August 11, 2010 @ 5:54 pm

Yum! Beautiful dish.

• Comment by Jen — August 11, 2010 @ 7:32 pm

That’s a tart my dear. And a beautiful one.

• Comment by Stefanie — August 11, 2010 @ 8:11 pm

This looks FABULOUS! My parents have a big nectarine tree that’s just about ready to pick so this will be a great recipe to have on hand. Thanks for sharing!

• Comment by Melanie — August 11, 2010 @ 9:40 pm

Yum yum!

• Comment by LizInScotland — August 12, 2010 @ 7:24 am

Thank you for posting this, Darby!My aunt and grandmother made a similar one, but I can’t seem to get a hold of the recipe. This will be perfect for our friday treat at Nursery! :)

• Comment by jenna — August 12, 2010 @ 7:35 am

what a perfect summer dessert! :)

• Comment by andrea — August 12, 2010 @ 8:47 am

Finally! I have an excuse to use the TART pan we received for a wedding gift more than 10 years ago! Thanks Darby! :) Looks yummy! :) Something my son will eat, for sure!

• Comment by VickiT — August 12, 2010 @ 10:32 am

Oh yum. I love fresh fruit and have a fruit pizza recipe that this reminded me of. Because I had that other recipe I almost didn’t check out this recipe but am very glad that I did. I love that this has a baked crust because that just sounds SO much better. Thank you. This is one I’ll definitely need to make soon.

• Comment by Kim — August 13, 2010 @ 8:20 am

This looks fabulous and I cannot wait to try it. I have a question about the crust though…. Do you roll it out like pie dough? Do you need to refrigerate it for a little while like pie dough? The phrase “spread dough on pans” makes me nervous, LOL. What exactly does that mean? Like just put globs in the pan and press with your fingers? Sorry to be so difficult. We make a lot of pies here but never a lovely fruit pizza;)

Kim

• Comment by Katie — August 13, 2010 @ 10:37 pm

Tried this recipe tonight everyone Loved it! Thanks for sharing :)

• Comment by lindsey — August 17, 2010 @ 8:10 pm

If someone wanted an easier, but still tasty crust- try spreading out a pre-made sugar cookie roll from the refrigerated cookie section. This is how my fruit pizza was made growing up, that and the sweet glaze on top…but maybe we are all too healthy now for that little extra bit of yummy goodness?!!:)

• Comment by Jennifer B — August 19, 2010 @ 12:54 pm

I made this last weekend for my in laws Anniversary Party: was gone in 5 minutes. Made it again last night….sooooo yummy and simple. Perfect summer treat!

thanks for sharing!!

• Comment by Julie — August 19, 2010 @ 7:57 pm

I have been looking for a recipe like this. I went to Ikea to get the tart pans just to make this. Made one for the hubby and I and the other for Mom’s night out tomorrow night. I just addded the cream cheese spread to the crusts and refrigerated. I will add the fruit tomorrow night just before serving. My husband loved it. It’s perfect!! So good! Thank you for sharing.

• Comment by B — September 12, 2010 @ 9:22 pm

I tried this yesterday for friends at a college football party – worked beautifully! Thank you!

• Comment by George — February 26, 2014 @ 12:47 pm

If you blend some fruit with the cream cheese you can use less sugar for a lower calorie filling. Plus it adds a little color and flavor. Excellent Idea for a hot Carolina afternoon too. Thanks for sharing!

• Comment by George — February 26, 2014 @ 12:54 pm

In the spirit of sharing…I have a recipe I call breakfast pizza. The French bread crust if covered with scrambled eggs and milk mixture and then you garnish the top with all your favorite hot breakfast foods except maybe oatmeal. Things you’d put in your omelette. I use fried taters, ground sausage or beef, bacon, sauteed onion, bell peppers, and your favorite hard cheeses, even pepper jack. Just imagine your hot breakfast brought to your mouth by your dominant hand on a pizza slice. Umm Umm Good!

• Comment by vimax birth control pill information — August 4, 2014 @ 4:46 pm

I got this site from my friend who informed me about this site and
    now this time I am visiting this web site and reading very informative articles or reviews at this place.

my website :: vimax birth control pill information