June24th

IMG_7417

Greetings from the land of heat, humidity, and warm pool water {which makes swimming not near as much fun}! From the blogs I read it looks like most of y’all are melting too.

We’ve had a wonderful week so far. The girls and I took a “field trip” to nearby Ozark, AL yesterday and visited with Paula and hit up a few other little treasure chests. We had a delightful time. The girls were eager to pick out their own fabric for a nightgown. We’re going to my parent’s farm next week and they absolutely need {wink} new nightgowns to take.
I thought I’d take a second and show you how I made the roman shade in the ORANGE BATHROOM. I get a lot of emails asking how I did it, but I will warn you I didn’t write down my directions as I went, so this is all from memory.
Just so we’re clear: it’s “fixed” meaning INOPERABLE and CAN’T RAISE OR LOWER. And this is a rough “tutorial” on how I made mine. I cut corners and used glue. Some seamstresses will raise their eyebrows and question my sanity. But it’s EASY and it doesn’t raise or lower so glue is OK in my opinion.
Ok, here goes:
I wanted my shade to appear to be “real & operable” so I made the shade itself the exact size of the window. This way it doesn’t appear to be faux like it really is.
First, I measured my window from outside of trim to outside of trim and added a 1″ seam allowance on both sides of the width, 1″ to the top and 4″ to the bottom. Which would give you this:

Once I cut out my fabric I turned the sides {R and L} under 1/2″ and then 1/2″ again and sewed a straight stitch. Then I did the same at the top. I DID NOT hem the bottom yet. I took a piece of blackout drapery lining and cut to the size of the shade less 1/2″ on each side and less the hem allowance on the bottom. Then I HOT GLUED the blackout lining to my shade panel on the seams and then I hemmed the bottom by turning it under 1″ and then up 3″. I would only use hot glue if you use a “blackout lining”. Please don’t use glue if you line it with a fabric drapery lining. And please don’t glue anywhere but on the edges where your seams are.

IMG_7418

Then I added the folds.

IMG_7416

As you can see they are uneven and not equally spaced. No one will ever notice besides me and all of you. I just pinched the fabric together and worked with it until I liked how it looked. I wanted it to hang at least half way down the top window pane when mounted at the crown molding.

First exhibit: This is how far down the window I wanted it to hang.

IMG_7421

Second exhibit: Mounted at crown molding not window trim. We have small windows and low ceilings and I wanted to add height to the window so I hung the sucker much higher so the window will appear to be much larger than it really is. You should only do this if you use blackout lining otherwise you’ll be found out when the sun shines and they can see the window behind your shade.

IMG_7415

Once my pleats were where I wanted them I sewed them together with a straight stitch. Which by the way, getting the pleats where I wanted them was the hardest part. There is probably a math formula for such thing but I just “eyeballed” it.

Then my shade was done and it was time to mount it to my 1″x 2″ that my husband cut to the width of the window {outside trim to outside trim} which should be the exact measurement of your shade. I used a staple gun and stapled the shade to the board and then mounted it to the wall using dryway screws and L brackets {see exhibit 2}.

And the rest is history!

Be back soon!

• Comment by Amy S. Norris — June 24, 2009 @ 1:17 pm

i so need to mapquest ozark, al to see how far it is from jackson. i would love to go there.

• Comment by Sarah @ Fiddledeedee — June 24, 2009 @ 1:23 pm

Yaaay! Thanks so much for this tutorial. I have everything needed to make our kitchen window treatments except a clue of how to make them look. This will be perfect :)

• Comment by cedwards55 — June 24, 2009 @ 1:38 pm

It looks great! Your pattern lines up and in my book, that's all that counts!

• Comment by AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage — June 24, 2009 @ 1:43 pm

Great tutorial! And I love how they turned out. I still can't get over how you made your bathroom look fun and modern on a budget. It's soooo inspiring to me.

Stay cool!

• Comment by ashley — June 24, 2009 @ 1:51 pm

great tutorial! this would be perfect in one of our bathrooms & kitchen! the tricky part is finding good fabric that isn't an arm & a leg!

• Comment by B Scott — June 24, 2009 @ 1:59 pm

I am so grateful! I was just about to tackle a real roman shade project that I found on Martha's. I think this will be perfect!

• Comment by Kate — June 24, 2009 @ 2:00 pm

When do we get to see your other bathroom? Please say "very soon." We have had to wait far too long for the unveiling!:)
    Pretty please?

• Comment by Dona — June 24, 2009 @ 2:16 pm

You are so crafty! It looks wonderful- It just might work in my playroom!

• Comment by Tara McClendon — June 24, 2009 @ 2:21 pm

Hey D! This is very much belated, but I was sending you happy birthday wishes from Decatur in my mind all day long and didn't get to the computer to be able to tell you on your big day. I hope it was a FABULOUS one, though! I just read about your strawberry cupcakes and white icing…it's not very often (ok, it's never) that I share any crafting or baking secrets with you, but I bet Betty Crocker's butter cream icing would be to die for on those!! Have you ever had it? It's all I ever use and it's off white so you can color it with food coloring if you need to. It's our favorite! Now you've got me wanting strawberry cupcakes…I think I'm going to the store right this second! Love from the McClendons!

• Comment by Bill, Misty, Will, and Laura Ann — June 24, 2009 @ 2:36 pm

Good Job. I do not sew so this inspires me.

• Comment by Martha5 — June 24, 2009 @ 2:50 pm

Found your blog while searching 5dollardinner.com site for dinner ideas. Thank you for your blogs that give us a glimpse of a young family with such a bright future. Getting ready to send my twin 18-year old boys off to college in 2 different states and having a hard time but know God always watches over them and protects them.

• Comment by The Harris Family — June 24, 2009 @ 2:59 pm

Yipped Yippee Yippee! I've been waiting for this! I'm doing this this weekend! Seriously! I have this new house with all these curtainless (and even a few mini blindless) windows and my windows need eyebrows! :-) I'm so laughing at the eyeballing because my hubby is always getting so frustrated with me because i never measure! Thanks girl!

• Comment by duchess — June 24, 2009 @ 3:09 pm

You're so good. I just love seeing all of your sewing projects. I do good to get a button back on (& it ain't pretty).
    Made your garden chicken last night for dinner – yum.

• Comment by kristy — June 24, 2009 @ 3:16 pm

These are so nice, thanks for sharing how you made them! And I just love that orange! So fun!

• Comment by Hillary @ The Other Mama — June 24, 2009 @ 3:18 pm

So much fun! This would be what the Nester calls a "mistreatment"- anything with hot glue and the term "eyeball it" counts! :) I love to eyeball things, too and find that I like them best that way. Drives Jason batty.
    Of course, it's adorable! Looks great! Thanks for the tutorial and especially the points about black out liner. I learned that one the hard way. Wish I would have known that 10 years ago!

• Comment by Heather — June 24, 2009 @ 4:43 pm

okay…i'm thinking i can handle this.

thanks for the tutorial.

• Comment by susanv — June 24, 2009 @ 5:31 pm

Perfect! I am about to start working on window treatments for our house and this will be perfect in the kids' bathroom.

Thanks so much for sharing your secrets!

• Comment by misc.alaina — June 24, 2009 @ 5:52 pm

Thanks for posting this tutorial! This is exactly what I have been looking for. I can't wait to go fabric shopping!

• Comment by Danielle — June 24, 2009 @ 5:54 pm

Yay! I needed this – exactly what I am going to do in my nursery. Like you I am just finishing up Eli's nursery – he is only 9 1/2 months old. haha!

Thanks again!!

• Comment by Fran — June 24, 2009 @ 6:53 pm

Thanks Darby! Great tutorial! I'm so happy you posted this! I'm off to try it for my office!! Fran

• Comment by Devon — June 24, 2009 @ 8:38 pm

My husband just asked why I screamed "YES!!!" It's because I am THRILLED you posted this tutorial. I have admired your roman shade curtains for so long and have even picked out the fabric necessary to copy them…but no idea how to sew them.

Miss Darby, you are the best. I thank you, my kitchen windows thank you and my husband thanks you (because now our kitchen windows will be covered…)

Yeah!!

• Comment by Annie Pazoo — June 24, 2009 @ 9:28 pm

Love, love, love that fabric!

• Comment by Jessica {lovely jubbly london} — June 25, 2009 @ 5:40 am

you make it sound so easy! I just bought my first sewing machine so once I can manage a straight stitch I may give this a try…

• Comment by Melissa — June 25, 2009 @ 7:03 am

Thank you so much for posting this! While part of it is Greek to me, my mama can understand it all, I'm sure! She loves home decor sewing! Please visit my blog and read my latest post, then put us on your prayer list. Thanks!

• Comment by Denise — June 25, 2009 @ 8:29 am

Thanks for a great looking, easy to make project! I'll have to try this in my sunroom. We made the adjusting kind for my daughter's room and it was no small task. Your's look so much better than our's! I'm sew impressed! :)

• Comment by Tiffany — June 25, 2009 @ 10:01 am

Darby – this is awesome! Thanks for sharing. It looks great! I'm might give it a try!

• Comment by Kathy — June 25, 2009 @ 10:02 am

And it looks great! I love your directions, and your blog.

• Comment by linknblogs — June 25, 2009 @ 1:22 pm

You have done such a wonderful job with the window shade! I only wish I were at all talented with a sewing machine. The fabric you chose is so chic! I absolutely love it. Also, what a wonderful idea to hang it from the crown molding instead of the window trim – it fooled me! It really does make the window look much larger! Great work and thanks for sharing!

• Comment by Liz — July 2, 2009 @ 7:01 am

Thanks for these instructions. I wish I could find this fabric though, it's fantastic!

• Comment by Marita — January 5, 2010 @ 3:29 pm

Darby –
    Long time follower of your blog… and I remember this post you did about your DIY fixed roman shade. I remember it being a great solution.
    Then today, I came across another genius blogger who’s figured out an easy and inexpensive way to make ACTUAL working roman shades from the mechanisms that come with mini blinds. With your eagerness to take on new projects, I thought you’d appreciate seeing her tips! Enjoy.

• Comment by Katriin — September 3, 2010 @ 4:02 pm

I do believe things happen for a reason… I stumbled upon your blog to find roman shade tutorial, I´ve been needing a nudge to make some roman shades for my closet and now got it :) thank you! lovely blog by the way

• Comment by Carolyn H — March 24, 2011 @ 7:04 am

Great idea, where does a person get the black out lining material? Thanks, appreciate it.

• Comment by Kay — March 28, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

This is great, but do you have any sugestions for a patio glass sliding door?

• Comment by Kitty — May 10, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

A beautiful window treatment that will fit a modest budget and require minimal sewing skills…fabulous any day of the week!

• Comment by amy — June 23, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

i found this exact fabric once, but didn’t buy it and have wanted it ever since! i can’t find it now. what is it called? adorable shades!!!!

• Comment by martha — June 27, 2011 @ 8:12 am

ok i have a question on this one. do u just see the wood board from on the sides of curtain. did not know it that was a problem? thanks so much i wanted to work on this soon.

• Comment by Ginny — November 14, 2011 @ 9:31 pm

Thanks! I now have the courage to make my own. I have quotes that run $159-$249 for labor! I’m going to make my own thanks to you!

• Comment by Linda L. — December 8, 2011 @ 9:24 pm

hmmm…just found this while searching on allfreesewing.com, and wondered if I could do this. My friend wants me to make window treatments and bedskirts for her, but that’s a daunting task in my mind…especially since the biggest thing I’ve made (other than the mess in my sewing room) is an apron! LOL But I love the way yours turned out – gives me hope that I can do it!

• Comment by Michelle — May 6, 2012 @ 8:34 pm

I pinned this to Pinterest a long time ago and now I’m so glad I did…we moved into a ’70′s home that is supposed to be Spanish-inspired and it has arched windows in the kitchen that I hate. I’m using this trick to hide the arch and make the windows look like standard windows!

I’m hoping that the blackout lining will work and no one will be the wiser. ;) Thanks for sharing!

• Comment by Jennifer — April 12, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

Great job, I love Roman shades and yours are really well done! I appreciate the gluing tips as those were the steps that had me really confused when I was starting my own home project.

• Comment by Polly — May 29, 2013 @ 11:17 am

Just a note, if you don’t want the block of wood holding the curtain up to be seen at the side, just cover the end with a piece of fabric and hot glue it to the wood first, folding over the top of the plank so you see no raw edges! I made one at the window edge and made a piece that hung down the side about 2 inches to keep snoopy eyes from seeing my bare wood!

• Comment by Rita Serrano — May 29, 2013 @ 3:12 pm

I will like to make this kind of curtains but the real functional one can you put the patron and instructions?

• Comment by ladona — June 7, 2013 @ 8:53 am

for picture sake, maybe you should not eyeballed it

• Comment by Swimming — October 14, 2013 @ 6:55 am

I all the time used to read article in news papers but now as I am a user of net so from now I am using
    net for posts, thanks to web.