Maybe you’ve gathered a few things in your mind by the picture posted above. As you can see, the 8 pacifiers I was sterilizing this morning didn’t make it. Rather than sterilize them, I incinerated them. Don’t worry, it was much worse than it looks. I’m not at home now typing on my computer. Instead, I’m at my in law’s house where I will spend the next several days while our rental house is fumigated from the smoke. Here’s how it all started…
It was an average Thursday morning at our house. I was bribing Morgan to go to school today so I could get some things done. Paiger was scooting about the house and a bit fussy. I was a little frantic because I had wasted half the morning searching on the internet about how to add a song to my blog (which I never did figure out– Lenzie can you please help me?) and as a result I forgot that I put 8 pacis on the stove on high to “sterilize”. I loaded up the girls and took Morgan to Mother’s Morning Out and the Raiger and I headed over to the new house to see Daddy’s progress. An hour and half after I put the pacifiers on the stove I remembered that they were still on. I flew like a bat out of hell from the new house to the rental house. The whole way I prayed that the house wouldn’t be on fire. I knew had set them on HIGH but only half of the heating element on our stove works so I prayed for a miracle. I could smell the smoke and hear the smoke detector as I jumped out of the car. The smoke was so thick I could hardly see in the house. It was the most awful smell I’ve ever smelled… burnt rubber and burnt plastic… and the smoke had permeated every corner of the house. I threw the pot out the door and frantically ran through the house trying to get all those dadgum window treatments out the way so I could open the windows and doors. I probably shouldn’t have even been in the house. I kept thinking “stop, drop, & roll” but that would have taken too long so I stupidly ducked low endured the smoke until I set up fans and opened everything that would open.
Of course, I couldn’t get Justin on his cell phone and I didn’t know what to do. I guess I could have called the fire department but there was no fire so I wasn’t sure what they could have done for me. Thankfully we have renter’s insurance and the “Fire Restoration” company came out this afternoon. They’ve placed two ‘ozone’ machines in the house that actually fill the house with ozone (as in O3) and hopefully deplete the house of all toxic, burnt plastic fumes. So, for now we wait and hope these machines get all the nasty smell out of our clothes and furniture. I guess the miracle was that the house didn’t burn down and hopefully everything will be okay. From now on I will just wash the paci’s with some antibacterial soap and pour some hot water on them.
Just thankful to be alive and still have some stuff… which thankfully is just “stuff” after all!
Please keep praying for Conor and Boothe as they hold onto Copeland. What a blessing her life has been so far! I kept reminding myself of what they face as I dealt with stupid stuff that doesn’t matter like burnt pacifiers and smoke. All my problems seem so small in comparison.